Following our recent launch of the CEL-FI QUATRA Networked Smart Booster, we thought it would be helpful to provide an installation example of how a small to mid-sized enterprise can configure the system to address in-building coverage gaps.
In this particular installation example, a large warehouse facility is able to draw a signal from an existing cellular tower on the macro network and wants to redistribute coverage indoors where it’s needed. There are only a few personnel in the warehouse along with M2M connections for warehouse operations.
Here’s how it’s done:
- The Network Unit is mounted where it can draw a cellular signal off-air from the outside macro cell.
- Using Cat 5 cabling, the network unit is connected to as many as four Coverage Units that are placed strategically in areas where coverage is a problem.
- Since the Coverage Units use Power over Ethernet (PoE), there is no need for electricians to install power outlets or for an IT person to place the Coverage Units based on the location of outlets. Instead, the Coverage Units are placed in the areas of the building where coverage gaps exist. This ensures the signal is uniformly distributed throughout the building to the perimeter.
- Once powered up, all network and system configurations and optimization are performed automatically.
Now the company grows, adding 50 to 100 new people inside the warehouse. Greater cellular capacity is needed to provide good cellular connectivity for everyone along with the M2M equipment.
- The company orders a small cell that is approved by the carrier to provide greater cellular capacity.
- When the small cell arrives and is installed, QUATRA can then receive its cellular signal from the small cell. In this scenario – with QUATRA tethered to a small cell – a Boosted Supercell is created, providing seamless cellular connectivity throughout the coverage area.
- As QUATRA distributes the signal all the way to the perimeter of the building, the signal from the small cell is stronger than the outdoor macro cell signal. Thus, all cellular devices use the signal from the small cell, relieving the burden from the macro network. This is known as densification.
- Up to four QUATRA systems can be connected to the small cell to distribute coverage in a space up to 200,000 sq. ft.
CEL-FI QUATRA provides the flexibility to be installed in the configuration that works best for a small to mid-sized enterprise on an immediate basis and as it grows. It ensures indoor cellular coverage for spaces that range in size from 10,000 to 200,000 sq. ft.
To find out which installation configuration works best for your needs, we’re always happy to connect you with one of our partners.